I’m working on a new Weird Pets story- it takes place in Stanley Park, and features a very particular landmark: a statue called “Girl in a Wetsuit.” It is my favourite part of Stanley Park, though for years I thought she was a mermaid (allegedly she was supposed to be, but when the city of Vancouver couldn’t get the rights to the Little Mermaid statue in Denmark they ‘modernized’ her). I originally wrote the story with the actual statue as it really is, but then I got to thinking it might be in keeping with the story of Weird Pets to make the statue some sort of sea-monster/mythical creature (as a sort of: “monster-people are an accepted and appreciated part of society” gesture).
I’ve pretty much settled on making this change, and now my question is: should she be a mermaid, or a selkie? I leave the decision to you, Tumblr. Choose wisely. ?
28 Notes/ Hide
- merverb likes this
- shameparade answered: SELKIE
- kaible answered: I like the selkie!
- somethingfeline answered: Selkies!
- communutzimonedula likes this
- sealymcseal likes this
- capskat26 answered: Mermaid!
- thebrigeedarocks answered: I say selkie, but I am biased towards seals and seal-like people.
- thebrigeedarocks likes this
- bardofmind likes this
- worldsentwined answered: I like the idea of a selkie statue because it’s more original, but I like the design of the mermaid statue here better.
- scarboroughartworks answered: Oh man oh man selkies are the best. Maybe I think that just because I know less about mermaids? But agh. Selkies are cool.
- korybing likes this
- korybing said: Mermaid mermaid mermaid mermaid
- sketchehkimmeh answered: Hard. The mermaid is more known around the world than the selkie (art-wise) But a selkie would be cool…
- these-cursed-eyes answered: Mermaid I think
- not-fun answered: selkie selkie selkie
- wildwomanworking likes this
- ecadia answered: I’m tempted to sya “selkie” because mermaids are overdone, but your mermaid is so lovely. So Imma say mermaid.
- hannibalkanibalas answered: Selkie
- fms468 likes this
- exigetspersonal answered: Selkie, the Mermaid thing has been done before.
- thistlebox answered: Selkie.
- snailchimera answered: selkieeeeeeeeee~
- thephooka answered: mermaid!
- sfemonster posted this